Live Messenger Error 2771 After Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Subsequent to successfully installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), starting Windows Live Messenger (WLM) may pop up an install error. The error reads: “The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2771.”

Error 2771 means there is a missing component. The simplest fix is to let WLM’s installer repair the issue automatically. If, however, the error dialog keeps popping up every time WLM is started then the suggested fix is to uninstall WLM from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and reinstall the package from Microsoft’s website. This should correct the issue.

On a side note, some users out there don’t want Microsoft cluttering the Windows desktop with ads via WLM so they install A-Patch. The moral and ethical dilemma is up to the reader to sort out but Microsoft is providing instant messaging on an ad-supported model. If too many users do this then it could affect everyone’s free access. Choose wisely!

Comments

11 Responses to “Live Messenger Error 2771 After Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)”

1. kcatonline on July 19th, 2008 5:03 pm

I was looking for help on a fix of error 2771 and found your blog. Smiling here, it was great reading. Thank you for starting your blog, medical and technical.

Blessings,
    Sharon K-Cat Sharing

2. keron on July 23rd, 2008 8:29 pm

good corroboration… i about to do so now.. that error is becoming quite tiresome. thanks for sharing!

3. David Thew on July 28th, 2008 1:08 pm

My question is this. I went to add/remove. I see 2 things for Windows. One is “Windows Live installer” and the other is “Windows Live Messenger”. Do I need to remove both of them? They look like they are part of the same thing? Also, how do I save my contacts? Do I just need to write them down? Is there a way to store them so I can re-add them when I reinstall? Thanks.

4. Therese on July 29th, 2008 6:34 am

Thx for the solution. but i still have one question. I use Vista as an operating system. is it ok for me to do the same steps you suggested for Windows XP?
    Thanks

5. Hisham on July 29th, 2008 9:32 am

@David: Microsoft stores your contacts on their server so you don’t need to save them. If you have any doubts that you’ll lose them then log into messenger and one of the drop down menus will let you save your contact list onto your desktop.

@Therese: I haven’t tried this method on Windows Vista but I suspect it’ll probably be pretty similar. If I remember correctly, Vista makes you download and install Live Messenger from the internet. If that is the case then go ahead and do it but make sure you have a backup of your computer in place if there is any doubt you’ll screw something up. Good luck and report back if you’re successful.

6. Chuck on August 25th, 2008 9:52 am

7. Erik on August 28th, 2008 11:50 am

Dear Hisham, I tried your method of uninstalling and reinstalling, but the error mssg keeps popping up… Any other ideas? Thanks!

8. kelly gane on September 6th, 2008 10:34 am

hi
    i have tried the soloution u said,uninstalled,then installed windows xp service pack 3,buty still have the problem with the windows live messenger install????but i already have messenger,whats it about???ineed of HELP please
    thanks

9. John Moss on September 29th, 2008 3:44 am

Well I took the plunge, downloaded Windows Live Beta
    Started at 9:30 am

Windows Installer Beta fired up at 9:45 am
    On dial up finished at 1500 hrs took 5 1/2 hours

It was worth it, looks good, works good and also fixed the error code 2771

Happy Peat (Wating for high speed in the woods 2009)

10. Hisham on February 23rd, 2009 7:20 am

I found that upgrading to Live Messenger 2009 fixed everything.

11. bivek on August 1st, 2009 8:02 am

there is a problem the messanger says

you cannot log in to windows live messanger
    i m using windows xp service pack 3
    other messanger run but this doesn’t run
    what is the reason

singing in to windows live failed because the service is temporaily unabilable please try later
    if i try later it does not work